Re: [LAU] urnachural.mp3

From: james morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net>
Date: Sat Dec 19 2009 - 20:20:25 EET

On 19/12/2009, "Dave Phillips" <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>james morris wrote:
>> http://jwm-art.net/art/audio/urnachural.mp3
>>

>A bit long in the tooth in the middle section, but I like it. Has kind
>of a retro-electronic sound to it that I enjoyed.

I appreciate your honesty. This track was made in a single take. Usually
I would edit these things or add a few more layers and effects. I've
made a few tracks with spontaneous keyboard playing (in this case
virtual keyboard playing with the mouse and keyboard).

I was using mx44 without effects. Unlike zynaddsubfx where you have to
enable the sound for additional midi channels, mx44 has them all enabled
by definition. So while playing with it, I could send a note-on to one
channel with note-off being sent to another, causing the note to hold
indefinitely.

Once I discovered that I stopped playing and immediately began recording
without a great deal of preparation or rehearsal (though many other
elements were explored in previous tracks).

So I guess the criticism falls down to my spontaneity, which is difficult
to... unsure how to say ...without forcing things.

>Do you have anything else like it ?

Not quite, no. Not with that sound, not at all.

But maybe try these (from 2008):

(probably even more long in the tooth)
http://jwm-art.net/art/audio/rellishb.mp3

(more bashing tins and stuff than keyboard 'playing')
http://jwm-art.net/art/audio/gfb789_and_fx.mp3

.. oh and (2007):
http://jwm-art.net/art/audio/drtrk_bias-x1.mp3
http://jwm-art.net/art/audio/snapsharp.mp3