Re: [LAU] midi capture of external hardware over usb

From: robert lazarski <robertlazarski@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 20 2009 - 01:35:07 EET

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
<gabriel@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, robert lazarski wrote:
>> Any other ideas?
>
> Yes....
>
> 1. It *was* simple to do.
> 2. It *was* phun.

Kool!

> Download this, and make sure you have the libjack-dev and g++ installed:
>
> http://www.teuton.org/~gabriel/code/midixlate-0.1.0.tar

For those following along, that link should have been:
http://www.teuton.org/~gabriel/code/midixlate-0.1.0.tar.bz2

I got this error compiling:

 /usr/local/midixlate-0.1.0> make
g++ -ggdb -fno-inline -fno-default-inline -c -o main.o main.cpp
main.cpp: In member function int MidiTranslate::process(jack_nframes_t):
main.cpp:279: error: memcpy was not declared in this scope

Here's my g++ version:

/usr/local/midixlate-0.1.0> g++ --version
g++ (SUSE Linux) 4.4.1 [gcc-4_4-branch revision 150839]

Googling shows lots of reports of that error. This include fixed it:

#include <cstring>

> Add and change lines as you see fit.  These are all decimal note numbers.
>  When you're done, save the file and issue the 'make' command.
>
> To run it, make sure you start jackd with the -Xseq option to create the
> bridge between ALSA MIDI and JACK MIDI.  Then, run this program.  Use
> something lack qjackctl to insert it between your input and output ports on
> the 2x2.

I did my mappings and ran it. Looking at the code, I'm not exactly
sure what the intention of the output of a successful translation is -
stdout, midi file etc? I don't see anything happening, though
"aseqdump --port=24:0" shows data comming in. Here's my qjackctl
config:

http://braziloutsource.com/random/qjackctl_midixlate.png

> Hope it helps!!
>
> -gabriel

Looks very promising and could likely be exactly what I need, once I
figure out how to get its output.

Thanks!
- R