Re: [LAU] midi capture of external hardware over usb

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabriel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 20 2009 - 01:52:09 EET

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, robert lazarski wrote:

> For those following along, that link should have been:
> http://www.teuton.org/~gabriel/code/midixlate-0.1.0.tar.bz2

Doh!

> main.cpp: In member function int MidiTranslate::process(jack_nframes_t):
> main.cpp:279: error: memcpy was not declared in this scope

2x Doh!

> Googling shows lots of reports of that error. This include fixed it:
>
> #include <cstring>

Correct! (Long story....)

>> bridge between ALSA MIDI and JACK MIDI.  Then, run this program.  Use
>> something lack qjackctl to insert it between your input and output ports on
>> the 2x2.
>
> I did my mappings and ran it. Looking at the code, I'm not exactly
> sure what the intention of the output of a successful translation is -
> stdout, midi file etc? I don't see anything happening, though
> "aseqdump --port=24:0" shows data comming in. Here's my qjackctl
> config:
>
> http://braziloutsource.com/random/qjackctl_midixlate.png

Looks like it's "wired up" right. Did you plug the output
port from the 2x2 into your drum machine?

The output is a MIDI output port (not a SMF file or
anything). So, it would be just as if you (somehow)
remapped the notes on your Oasys and sent it to your drum
machine over a MIDI cable.

You can also use aseqdump to view the output of midixlate.
If you start aseqdump while jack is up... you'll see it on
the qjackctl connections dialog so that you can wire it up
and see what midixlate is outputting.

HTH,
Gabriel