Re: [LAU] tuning midi to alternative temperaments

From: Jeff Sandys <sandysj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2009 - 21:46:40 EET

Andy Baxter wrote:

> Peder Hedlund wrote:
>> Quoting Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>:

>>> You can't.
>>>
>> Hmm, from reading Mr Ekman's reply, I guess you can... :)
>> But still, it's a feature of the audio player (synth/sampler/whatever)
>> rather than the sending MIDI device.
>>
> I remember reading up on this once, and there are some later revisions
> of the MIDI spec that let you specify alternative tunings for the notes
> in the midi scale. But not all synths will understand the codes for these.

Get Kmidimon. Then you can see the messages your Casio is sending.
Your Casio might send a bulk tuning dump like like how Scala works, or
it might send a per note tuning message, you might have to configure
the Casio to send these messages.

     http://www.midi.org/about-midi/tuning-scale.shtml

If you want to experiment with different tunings try Scala. The Casio
might overwrite the Scala tuning, yet another reason to figure it's MIDI
messages. An alternate and tedious method to do alternate tunings in
a sequencer is to included a pitch-bend midi event with every note.

MIDI pitch-bend and alternate tunings have been part of the MIDI
specification since V1. The MIDI implementation table for your device
should tell you if it does pitch bends and alternate tunings.

-- Jeff