Re: [LAU] Linux audio app design: The nature of xruns

From: Guido Scholz <guido.scholz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 28 2009 - 23:06:47 EET

Am Mon, 28. Dec 2009 um 15:24:02 -0500 schrieb lanas:

> Le Lundi, 28 Décembre 2009 20:17:21 +0100,
> Guido Scholz <guido.scholz@email-addr-hidden> a écrit :

Hi "lanas",
could you please reply to the list an not to my private e-mail?

> > as far as I understood your experiment, you compared these two setups
> > to conclude "QARecord is to blame":

> Not really. And I forgot to mention jackmix which looks like another
> quick hack.

Hm, yes that sounds pretty persuading.

> This is because it was not much of an experiment to start with but
> rather an observation derived from finding a way to record the song
> without so many xruns.

I am aware of that and chose this wording to encourage you to discover
the real root cause. Currently we suffer from hypotheses (at least I
do).

> As such, the observation was quite clear: kernel real-time
> capabilities, although they might play a role somewhere, had nothing
> to do in producing xruns since switching applications resolved the
> problem. From that observation then a question arose: there must be a
> bad way and a good way of writing a Linux audio/jack application: what
> is it ?

So did you get the answer?

> > For mathematical reasons I would like to get your result from this
> > alternative setup (also giving better access to a root cause):
> >
> > 3) noise -> jackmix -> Ardour -> wav-file

> Indeed. That's the possibility I haven't explored since I think the
> result of the observation was to see that there's a bad and good way of
> writing such applications.

I see, so you are more interested from a philosophical (or moral?) point
of view.

> Now, that the bad way lies with jackmix
> and/or Qarecord is a second point that has more to do with technical
> performance in the context of writing such an audio/jack application.
> Which is not the case at the moment.

Hm sorry, I didn't get that.

> > Some other interesting information would be, what program versions
> > (jackmix, QARecord) are you using?

> Hmmm.. I'd disagree with this insofar as debugging these apps is
> certainly not the matter.

So yes well, but are you sure, you understood my question?

Guido

--
http://www.bayernline.de/~gscholz/
http://www.lug-burghausen.org/