Re: [LAU] Linux audio app design: The nature of xruns

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 29 2009 - 02:12:00 EET

Le Lundi, 28 Décembre 2009 23:50:17 +0100,
Guido Scholz <guido.scholz@bayernline.de> a écrit :

> Am Mon, 28. Dec 2009 um 16:24:48 -0500 schrieb lanas:

>> If, when I start my little project, I face the same number of xruns,
>> then I'll take a look. if not, my purpose is not to debug jackmix
>> and/or QARecord. I simply made an orbservation.

> my contributions to this thread are not about "debugging" more about
> "operating", but obviously this topic did not come across. May be if
> you once publish your project you will find out what it was about.

Operating... Yep. Plug inputs into jackmix, plug jackmix outputs into
QARecord. Adjust levels. Ah, did I forgot to turn the computer on ?

Publish to find out ? Everything works well with Ardour, as I've
mentionned in the original post. So why bother with apps that I
just about never use and probably will never again ?

>> Yes. See the first two replies in ths thread, by David and Dominic.
>> As I added, treating jack callbacks as bottom part ISRs could
>> certainly improve performance and who knows (not I so far, do
>> you ?) avoid a good deal of xruns ?

> Yes sure, this is common audio programming standard. But is it the
> whole picture?

I'll see when I'll be doing an audio/jack app. Then I'll have
details. It could be that I'll never get details about what makes the
jackmix/QARecord fails. Could be. Will I be missing much ? I don't
think so.

>> are you the author of QARecord by any chance ?
>
> A look at the about box could tell you. But does it really matter?

Well, this is some kind of conversation, so I figured I'd ask. Of
course, much information can be gotten without conversation.

>> Program versions do not matter in that observation.

> OK, I will not join this (simple) view. Code changes from time to time
> (from release to release?) and even operating errors can occur. But
> finding the error clearly needs an other strategy.

Well, if the only way to go was with jackmix/QARecord then yes, a
solution should be found. But since the problem is easily solved by
simply using Ardour (I always use Ardour by the way and I've never used
jackmix before, and now, thinking about it, in the last two years,
recordings (few, near the beginning) with xruns were done when QARecord
was in the loop) then there's no need to look deeply in the
mechanics of jackmix/QARecord. If I want to look at some example code
I'll at least look up Ardour because it works well (or any other app
that I can try and works well).

Tschüß, und vielleicht bis später.