Re: [LAU] Compiling a kernel

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 31 2009 - 01:35:52 EET

> OK, so I don't change latency while actually recording. Changing
> latency requires restarting Jack and the audio apps. Probably I should
> have said I test Ardour recording 48 channels to 3 drives with
> different latency settings in Jack.
>
> I use 3 Firewire drives and tell Ardour that they are attached. Ardour
> decides what audio data goes on each drive, but roughly speaking it
> spreads out the audio data across all three. When I first did this a
> few years ago I ran into trouble trying to do this on a single
> internal IDE drive, even if it wasn't the main system drive. It might
> work better today with newer drivers and SATA drives. Don't know.
>
> Hope this clears things up.
>
> - Mark

Yup. I very much wonder, if you would have less struggle sending all of
the streams to one RAID-10 set (that's four drives minimum) of either
internal SATA or eSATA. RAID-5 (three drives minimum) wouldn't help
because it accelerates read, but not write; but RAID-10 effectively
doubles both read and write speeds.

J.E.B.