Re: [LAU] Compiling a kernel

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 31 2009 - 01:57:44 EET

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman
<jeb@joshuacorps.org> wrote:

>> OK, so I don't change latency while actually recording. Changing
>> latency requires restarting Jack and the audio apps. Probably I should
>> have said I test Ardour recording 48 channels to 3 drives with
>> different latency settings in Jack.
>>
>> I use 3 Firewire drives and tell Ardour that they are attached. Ardour
>> decides what audio data goes on each drive, but roughly speaking it
>> spreads out the audio data across all three. When I first did this a
>> few years ago I ran into trouble trying to do this on a single
>> internal IDE drive, even if it wasn't the main system drive. It might
>> work better today with newer drivers and SATA drives. Don't know.
>>
>> Hope this clears things up.
>>
>> - Mark
>>
> Yup.  I very much wonder, if you would have less struggle sending all of
> the streams to one RAID-10 set (that's four drives minimum) of either
> internal SATA or eSATA.  RAID-5 (three drives minimum) wouldn't help
> because it accelerates read, but not write; but RAID-10 effectively
> doubles both read and write speeds.
>
> J.E.B.

Yes, probably so. However I have no money to do such things, etc., so
it remains something for a possible future.

One thing I will say about 1394 is it's easy to put out of the way
physically, at the end of a long cable in a closet or backroom, and
thus reducing noise. Doing things inside the chassis has noise, power
and heat issues that might effect some folk's decisions about how to
handle this sort of thing. Using 1394 allows (or allowed with my
previous laptop really) to use the same drives with a desktop setup or
a laptop.

There's a lot of ways to go with stuff like this. I had some 1394a and
1394b drives hanging around at the time so it didn't cost me anything
to go that way. It would surely be different for others.

Cheers,
Mark