Re: [LAU] audio collage?

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 04 2010 - 19:17:52 EET

Not sure what kind of tools are out there but The Beatles did this kind of stuff
on Sgt Peppers and depending on your input files the output could be very
interesting. They took a tape of a fairground organ and reportedly cut it into ~8"
pieces which would match the tempo they were recording at, chucked the lot into
a bucket and directed the sound engineer to splice them all back together in
any arbitrary order that he could pick them out, reverse direction included.

That was 'high tech' at the time, the results were very good and are found on
'For the Benefit of Mr Kite'. You should be able to find some granular code that
can do similar stuff for you now though, this is pretty much granular synthesis
with a very large grain period.

The results are likely to be better if the different 'splices' have some degree of

consistency, ie, it would be what many people would call more musical however

dissonant pieces could be similarly interesting. The Beatles kind of used it for
effect however it did also have the result of moving the totally unrelated pipe
organ to be in a timescale related to their own recording, something that could
also be done with dissonant input material. Their work was mono however if you
do find granular code then it could easily be multiple layers superimposed on
each other.

Regards, nick.

"we have to make sure the old choice [Windows] doesn't disappear”.
Jim Wong, president of IT products, Acer