Re: [LAU] can this be done with audio synthesis languages

From: rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 11:40:36 EET

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> Dunno if this is a stupid question or not, and just for orientation...
>>
>> Is it possible to make a sort of 'Ableton Live like setup' with audio
>> synthesis languages like supercollider or pd?
>
> I'm not really familiar with AL, but I've build a quite elaborate
> setup with chuck. It's a bit in-between-version at the moment, since
> I'm rewriting some parts.
>
> It let's you do some really hip things (IMHO), like control the
> meta-musical parameters like length-of-notes, atonality, height, stuff
> like that, provided you build your patterns accordingly.
>
> The only, but quite big (read huge, as in show stopper) problem is
> that chuck is not really performing that well. I'm almost at the edge
> of what is possible with chuck on my dual core 2.4Ghz laptop. I seem
> to be the only chuck user needing more speed, so I kinda gave up on
> the whole thing. I'm developing it further as I need, and waiting for
> other stuff (like my DAW of choise, renoise) to be ready to live
> performances.
>
> You're more than welcome to have a look, if you'd like...
>
> NB: Here's a mobile phone (audio from the house PA) recording of my
> setup at work:
>
> http://virb.com/atte/videos/3109315
>
> Everything except the melodica and the bass is chuck. The vocals are
> processed through chuck too.

Atte,

Thanks for your generous offer. It looks it's cool stuff indeed. But
I think I'd rather search for an supercollider solution atm.

Or just using non-sequencer with Ardour and loop Ardour via OSC messages
or something, cause it seems to be impossible to loop Ardour with Jack
Transport. But then I have to find out how that works with OSC. I don't
know anything about it yet.

Regards,

\r