Re: [LAU] How to do a list reply? (was: Linux audio app design: The nature of xruns)

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Wed Jan 06 2010 - 23:25:20 EET

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Oh, and the link you post really assumes that everyone is using ELM. I
> used that program in the 1980s ... I think this is 2010 :) Maybe I
> need to put on my reverse-time-suit :)

If you've never received a potentially embarrassing personal email
inadvertently via a public mailing list, you clearly haven't been
around for as long as...

Hey -- hang on -- you've been around for ages!

Either you're very careful and you look away discreetly when other
people do weird things, or you've mostly been hanging out on lists
that don't do reply-to munging. Me, I don't really want to see
another "hey! how are you? I'm fine, just about to divorce so-and-so"
or "you guys really sold me out on that audio reseller deal"... No, I
really don't.

The arguments about convenience are mostly moot, you could argue
either side. The difference in seriousness of the most common "user
failure" case is the argument that surely matters most.

Chris