Re: [LAU] Balancing volume between smooth and popping bass

From: Robert Jonsson <spamatica@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 13 2010 - 10:52:57 EET

>> That's two stereo tracks in Ardour as I feed both mono signal
>> in the right and left of each track. Maybe I shouldn't do that.

There are no rights or wrongs, all that matters is the final outcome.
Though if both tracks have identical data and you don't process them
differently it's probably just a waste of processing power.

>>   Is there a receipe in recording techniques that addresses that kind
>> of configuration and enables control over the loudness difference
>> from a sinle intrument in a single take ?
>>
>>   Any ideas/suggestions appreciated,
>>
>> Cheers.
>
> Speaking from theoretical knowledge, wouldn't compression give a more
> even feel to the recording? Of course you'd need to lower your input
> volume to give headroom for the push/pop notes.

Yes, I would say that is the main purpose of a compressor / limiter:
Evening out the extremes in the audio.

/Robert