Re: [LAU] Balancing volume between smooth and popping bass

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 13 2010 - 10:58:01 EET

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 23:41:20 Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 16:29 -0500, lanas wrote:
> > I'm looking for a way to balance the sound between regular playing
> > and pop/push type of playing on a accoustic bass guitar. The guitar is
> > both miked (M-Audio pulsar) and has a balanced line-in for the embedded
> > pick-up (of not very good quality as it lacks picking up the high
> > notes). That's two stereo tracks in Ardour as I feed both mono signal
> > in the right and left of each track. Maybe I shouldn't do that.
> > In any case, the push/pop notes are blasting when compared to
> > regular playing. A bit of blasting is OK, but there's too much
> > contrast now.
> > Is there a receipe in recording techniques that addresses that kind
> > of configuration and enables control over the loudness difference
> > from a sinle intrument in a single take ?
> Speaking from theoretical knowledge, wouldn't compression give a more
> even feel to the recording?

Yes, compression is what is to be used here. I know bass players that have a
compressor in their chain before the allow you to get the signal.

> Of course you'd need to lower your input
> volume to give headroom for the push/pop notes.

No, the compressor will lower the volume of the push/pop notes so that you can
turn up the overall amplification afterwards.

The input should be set as high as possible without distortion on the loudest
parts of the signal.

Have fun,

Arnold