[LAU] Good, efficient compressor in LADSPA and/or SLV2?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 17 2010 - 16:26:03 EET

I'm going to be mixing a record in Ardour on Linux (yay).

Can anyone recommend a good, efficient (low CPU usage) mono compressor for use on individual tracks? I've tried the CALF compressor, which seems good, but it's stereo and seems to use a good deal of CPU.

Perhaps one might say: "Try them all out and use the one that sounds best to you". Well that won't work, because no compression sounds good to me. Compression fatigues my ears very quickly, and makes everything sound like a beer commmercial (wait, those are the same thing).

But if we want a hit single, then we'll have to just crush every track with compression, I'm sure. Anyway, any compressor preferences would be greatly appreciated.

-ken