[LAU] Questions on New Recording Gear

From: Ectropic Harmony <ectropic.harmony@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 18 2010 - 11:32:34 EET

I've recently started adding new gear to my studio, which isn't much
beyond a room in an apartment converted into a music studio initially
used for lessons but will soon be used for recording. Although it's
not sound-proofed and is only 1 room (not a control room with studio,
or anything like that) it's at least a start. Perhaps in the future,
the next time I move, it'll be easier to set up a more controlled
recording environment. In any case, I have a question about the gear
and any general points on where to start with things. At the moment
I'm still waiting for some of the gear to arrive via mail but it
should all be here by the end of this week.

Here's the list...

Instruments:
Acoustic & electric guitars
Bass guitar
Electronic drumset (a very nice Roland, MIDI but also has direct
outs/main outs (1/4" TRS))
USB/MIDI keyboard (M-Audio Axiom 49)
Various other instruments, percussion, winds, strings

Misc. gear:
Amps (combos, i.e. Marshall, TubeWorks)
Power amp (not currently using this, it's a 4 channel PA)

Recording gear:
4 mics (AT2020s)
Mixer (Mackie 1642-VLZ3, 16 channel 4 bus analog mixer)
Digital audio interface (M-Audio Delta 1010)
Computer (64-bit quad core 2.6GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 3TB space; running
Ubuntu Studio 9.10)

The new equipment is the recording gear - specifically the Mackie
mixer, the Delta 1010 audio interface, and the mics.

I have a variety of questions that will all, naturally, come to mind
as I begin digging deeper into this new equipment, though for starters
I'll ask one simple question...

Where would you suggest I begin?

I'd like to record & compose. I'm not familiar with the most effective
music composition software for Linux that works well with USB/MIDI
keyboards. As far as recording, I'm interested in using Ardour. I
understand I have to set up JACK. The Ubuntu Studio system comes with
a handful of packages pre-installed. I'm not sure where to begin with
all of those programs, or which ones might be the "main ones" that
I'll be using for recording purposes and then for composing purposes.

Thank you for any input on any of this!