Re: [LAU] M-Audio Axiom 49

From: David Adler <david.jo.adler@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 20 2010 - 20:11:39 EET

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Ectropic Harmony wrote:

> I was able to install "ams" and "qmidiroute" though I'm not really
> sure how to operate them. Basically, I'd like to be able to
> assign/edit the different controls/knobs/etc. on the keyboard via a
> user-friendly GUI-based program that helps visualize the changes in
> the settings as they occur.

ams doesn't do remapping, it's an overkill application that,
among 1000 other things, can be (ab)used to monitor
incoming MIDI events.
Connect the axioms output to ams' input in the MIDI tab
of qjackctl.
Open 'View -> Control Center' from the menu, events will
show up in the left column as they arrive.
There is a checkbox labelled 'Enable Note Events' on the
bottom left, useful for monitoring purposes.

qmidiroute is GUI-based midi router, hopefully what You're
looking for.
In qjackctl, insert qmidiroute in between the axioms output
and the Inputs of the apps to be controlled.
I don't have it installed here ATM, but I recall its interface
being intuitive and user-friendly. It is about defining rules
for remapping, like changing MIDI channel, adding an
offset to the Note numbers of each Note event, remapping
events of one controller number to another...

> I'm new to MIDI on Linux (as well as recording/composing on Linux in
> general). So all of this will take some getting used to... one app at
> a time seems the best way to go.

welcome!

qmidiroute for the remapping and aseqdump and/or ams as a monitor
are a good choice IMHO.

aseqdump is simple though GUI-less, just type aseqdump into a
terminal and a port will show up in qjackctl.

greetings,