Re: [LAU] delta 1010 background hiss

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 23 2010 - 00:05:59 EET

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 03:31:31PM -0600, Ectropic Harmony wrote:
> I'm getting closer to testing my new Delta 1010.
>
> Are there any more reports of problems with the device?
>
> I'm hoping there won't be. Hearing that some people get a "hiss" noise is scary.

Hi Ect,

I have a soundcard (Hoontech DSP3000) using the same Envy24/ICE1712
as the Delta 1010.

I also have experience with hiss problems. I think it
happens when the hardware/software gets initialized into
an odd state. I recall it's an all-or-nothing thing.

Obviously it is rare enough that Delta et. al aren't having
trouble selling hardware. :-)

I don't remember all the details but do recall a couple
of ways I've used to control how initialization takes place are:

* power cycling the computer (initializes PCI card)
* powering on the external I/O box (usually after the computer is booted)

You can imagine that a different sequence of powering the
hardware and loading the driver could cause some difference
in behavior.

Hope that helps,

Joel