Re: [LAU] delta 1010 background hiss

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 24 2010 - 22:36:01 EET

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:26:13 -0500
Martin Peach <martin.peach@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> David Santamauro wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:31:31 -0600
> > Ectropic Harmony <ectropic.harmony@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm getting closer to testing my new Delta 1010.
> >>
> >> Are there any more reports of problems with the device?
> >>
> >> I'm hoping there won't be. Hearing that some people get a "hiss"
> >> noise is scary.
> >
> > I'll be tracking 2 angles tomorrow with my hiss problem: 1) put the
> > card in another computer and; 2) failing (1), opening up the case and
> > checking capacitors. I've been reading a bit this week about burned out
> > capacitors.
> >
> > ... more tomorrow after I get my hands dirty.
> >

> I had the same problem with a Delta1010LT. It was running great on
> Ubuntu Studio with a VIA MiniITX board that died on me. I replaced the
> mobo with a Jetway VIA Nano and installed Debian amd64 and I got the
> notorious hiss.
> So I took the card out and now it's running in a WinXP box with no
> issues. So it's definitely not the capacitors. I think the sound of dead
> capacitors would be more like AC hum.

The only time caps in a computer would give you ac hum problems would be
if the main PSU ones were faulty, and then I think you'd quickly find
all sorts of much more serious problems!

Also, it may not be *those* capacitors, but it could very well still be
capacitor related.

A *well* designed mobo has them dotted all over the place, seemingly
redundant and in parallel. There are also additional ground plane
'capacitors' formed in the very structure of the board itself.

Personally I've not had very good results with VIA mobo's - all sorts
of obscure problems, especially with the micro and nano boards.

Now if the card's filtering is not 100% and the mobo's isn't either
that could be the cause of your problems.

> Might it be a PCI interrupt priority issue? I only have one PCI slot in
> the board so I couldn't test that.
>
> Martin

Always possible of course but it seems likely that interrupt clashes
would be more likely to cause drop-out crackles.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk