Re: [LAU] delta 1010 background hiss

From: Martin Peach <martin.peach@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 24 2010 - 19:26:13 EET

David Santamauro wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:31:31 -0600
> Ectropic Harmony <ectropic.harmony@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> I'm getting closer to testing my new Delta 1010.
>>
>> Are there any more reports of problems with the device?
>>
>> I'm hoping there won't be. Hearing that some people get a "hiss"
>> noise is scary.
>
> I'll be tracking 2 angles tomorrow with my hiss problem: 1) put the
> card in another computer and; 2) failing (1), opening up the case and
> checking capacitors. I've been reading a bit this week about burned out
> capacitors.
>
> ... more tomorrow after I get my hands dirty.

I had the same problem with a Delta1010LT. It was running great on
Ubuntu Studio with a VIA MiniITX board that died on me. I replaced the
mobo with a Jetway VIA Nano and installed Debian amd64 and I got the
notorious hiss.
So I took the card out and now it's running in a WinXP box with no
issues. So it's definitely not the capacitors. I think the sound of dead
capacitors would be more like AC hum.
Might it be a PCI interrupt priority issue? I only have one PCI slot in
the board so I couldn't test that.

Martin