Re: [LAU] Questions on New Recording Gear

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 01:49:05 EET

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:22:24AM -0600, Ectropic Harmony wrote:

> I haven't had a chance to test the entire set-up of multiple
> connections just yet (see message below for what I'm thinking about
> trying, I don't know if it'll work) but I have managed to get a basic
> recording going with mics into mixer into delta interface into
> computer.
>
> One issue right now -
>
> Levels.
>
> Really low levels.
>
> I've adjusted the levels on the mixer, in the envy24 control, and in
> Ardour... and it's like I have to max things out just to get a decent
> volume.
>
> What's the trick getting rock solid levels during recording and
> playback both without having to max things out? :-\

Since you're using a mixer, the only way to preserve your
sanity is to fix the envy24control gains to some calibrated
value. Normally the 'neutral' setting is 127 for all ADC/DAC
controls - this should produce equal input and output levels
but how much this is true will depend on your soundcard design.
For the ADCs, the part above 127 actually controls a separate
preamp stage which you normally should not use for line level
inputs. Select +4dBm or not depending on what your mixer expects
and produces.

First calibrate the playback part by playing e.g. some ripped CD
tracks in Ardour, and adjusting the mixer/soundcard gains and
the final volume control. Once this is OK, don't touch anything
on the playback part (except maybe your final volume), and then
adjust inputs. If you don't have enough gain for some instruments,
you'll need DI boxes or preamps.

Ciao,

--
FA