Re: [LAU] Beta testers required for jretune

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 01:37:59 EET

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:28:53PM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:

> I played a bit with it and it indeed sounds very good! Actually it
> sounds really, really good. I can't hear any coloration, except the to
> be expected formant shifts (or whatever the technical term is) when
> correcting pitches.
>
> I have the following suggestions:
>
> 1) It would be more useful if it could be put to a less strict mode. As
> already kinda suggested by others, a threshold (don't correct notes less
> out of tune than this) and mayde a portamento/glide length so allow more
> subtle corrections. Also a correction percentage would be really, really
> nice!

What exactly do you mean by 'correcion percentage' ?

Some way of 'smoothing' the correction would indeed be
a good thing, for one it would e.g. preserve vibrato.
But it's a difficult thing to do right. A simple
'lowpass' on the correction would mean that quite
normal sudden changes of one note to the next would
become a 'glide' as well. To do it right you need to
detect note changes, not just 'current pitch'. This
would be a lot easier if the process were done off-line
as that would enable the processor to look ahead. A
real-time implementation with reasonable latency can't
do that.

> 2) A midi input (correct to the incomming midi-note) would be cool.

This could be *very* complicated unless it is guaranteed
that the MIDI info is exactly on time w.r.t. the audio.
Again this would be a lot easier in off-line mode.

> 3) As already mentioned a VST or LADSPA version would allow me to
> integrate (automatic setup together with my project) plus automatic
> Plugin Delay Compensation would make it much more useful to me. I'm
> willing to help with this as much as I can, when the time is right!

Well, I'm not going to turn it into a plugin, but it should
be easy enough. The entire DSP part is a single C++ class,
all you need is to 'package' it, and that can be done without
understanding the DSP code.

To continue working on this I'll need a collection of
well-recorded vocal tracks, both in-tune and 'typically-
out-of-tune' ones. The more the better.

Ciao,

--
FA