[LAU] Audio Levels with your delta 1010

From: Mark Rufino <157audio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 17:10:32 EET

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:22:24AM -0600, Ectropic Harmony wrote:
>
>> I haven't had a chance to test the entire set-up of multiple
>> connections just yet (see message below for what I'm thinking about
>> trying, I don't know if it'll work) but I have managed to get a basic
>> recording going with mics into mixer into delta interface into
>> computer.
>>
>> One issue right now -
>>
>> Levels.
>>
>> Really low levels.

I'm not sure if, from that, I can determine whether or not I need a
separate mic preamps type device.

Any ideas?

Hopefully it's just a matter of me incorrectly setting levels. :-\ But
if I need a preamp device I'll definitely get one.

When you saw low levels, how low? If you are using a mixer into your delta
1010 then you have mic preamps. If you are plugging a mic into your delta
1010 (which I assume you're not- that is only 1/4" inputs, right?, then
those are line inputs and your mic needs amplification. Also, for your
condenser mics you do have phantom power, right? Just checking, without that
they will not make much, if any, sound.
However, assuming things are working correctly, what level are you shooting
for? digital 0 and analog 0 are not the same thing, different scales, so
shooting for 0 on your mackie then shooting for 0 in ardour is not going to
work- ardour ideally should be peaking around -18, maybe a hair higher once
in a while. That is called 0dbfs (0 decibels below full scale). "Full scale"
is calibrated to something analog, and -18 is one standard (people calibrate
to different things depending on the situation), so 0dbfs in that case would
be +18dbv (I think dbv is the scale, maybe dbvu? doesn't necessarily matter
though). So if you are recording at +18 analog, that means your mackie is
red lighting everything, and a mackie most definitely is not going to sound
good at +18, and your delta 1010 inputs aren't designed for that either, so
you're going to get some ugly sound. Just something to think about, it may
or may not be your issue.
So when you are gain staging, you want each piece in your signal chain to
operate where it is meant to operate efficiently. In your mixer, if you max
out your channel gain then lower the fader, that's not really what you want
to be doing- the gain is not a "volume control" really, it is meant to bring
the operating level of your mic to its correct spot. Same thing with your
channel faders, you don't want them all up high then the master fader down.
However, inside ardour, this is different, you can have your faders up and
your master down, to a degree. Ardour's internal headroom is much much
higher than any analog component, so you're not clipping ardour inside, but
then as you send sound out too loud you're clipping your converters, which
can be done with some converters, but not something on the m-audio level (me
either, I have a phonic mixer, probably made in the same factory as the
mackie). So keep your levels conservative and you'll get a better sound.
If there are inaccuracies to what I've said please correct, but for the most
part I think my info is correct.

--
http://www.reverbnation.com/jeffreybrayne
www.jeffreybrayne.com