Re: [LAU] Questions on New Recording Gear

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 19:42:39 EET

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 11:05:05 Ectropic Harmony wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:38 AM, drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On Monday 25 January 2010 23:46:12 Ectropic Harmony wrote:
> >> And a Mackie 1642-VLZ3:
> >> http://www.mackie.com/products/1642vlz3/
> >
> > From that link:
> >
> > 10 studio-grade XDR2™ Extended Dynamic Range mic preamps with:
> >
> > So you have preamps built into that.
> >
> > How are you connecting things up?
> >
> > all the best,
> >
> > drew
>
> Mics currently placed about 3 or 4 feet from sound sources.
> XLRs into mixer Ins on the strips.
> Phantom power enabled.
> Gains on strips are set to an uncomfortably high level (over half and
> it's still low).
> Main Mix & the channels' faders are all set to "U".

Let's leave the 1010 and computer out of the equation for a bit.

What does it sound like with this setup if you listen to the mixer itself with
headphones?

If levels there sound fine, next I would hook up the stereo out of the mixer
to the 1010 instead of the direct outs and see if you can get good levels
there...

Others have mentioned mic distance.

> Direct Outs from the back of the mixer into the Ins on the Delta 1010.
> Default button settings on back of Delta 1010 (buttons out, allowing "+4")
> Software connections via JACK
> Envy24 running, with levels maxed out (ins and outs).
> Ardour (no current changes in Ardour's mixer's levels, using default).

all the best,

drew