Re: [LAU] Ascension: Music made in Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 03:32:31 EET

On 01/30/2010 10:03 AM, james morris wrote:

>>> Now I know this is an insult. It is malicious or just trying to be funny?
>>>
>>> Maybe try adjusting the levels and you might hear a bit more variation
>>> in the sound palate. If you do and feel like sahring your results it
>>> would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> You could also try skipping through to about 25mins which is my
>>> favourite part of the track.
>>>

>> I think you should have been more upfront about what to expect because I
>> would not have wasted 1% of my monthly bandwidth had I not expected 1hr
>> of techno/dance modular synth wizardry... This is more like the Aphex
>> Twin overdosing on valium and attempting to create selected ambient
>> works volume 3.
>>
> Actually, I'll partially take that back. I probably would have listened
> to it whatever. In fact, the reason I did download it and attempt to
> listen, was because of Folderol's message and assuming that he heard
> "a strange warbling noise" because it was just not his style of music.
>
> I guess the biggest disappointment was due to expecting to like it -
> expecting it to change completely, that the warbling was just for five
> minutes before something spectacular happened.

As I said it is a raw unprocessed cut. I have sent it out here for
feedback from people who might hear it differently from what I am
hearing on my system and may be interested in figuring out how to make
it sound like what I am hearing then telling me what level they had to
tweak to get the sound palate to jump forward in the mix.

Aphex twin on valium is not the comparison I was expecting. Clearly
there is something that is dampening the palate on your system or maybe
you are only listening at a fraction of the volume that I am.

Did you even hear a beat?

Here on my speakers the beat is strong and powerful. The bassline is
progressive and all encompassing and the wierd noises that are injected
into the mix are constantly self modifying. IMO The tempo and rhythm are
similar to tech house that I have heard and the progression is well
defined over the 1 hour length of the track.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd