Re: [LAU] Ascension: Music made in Linux

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 13:25:13 EET

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had some fun with alsamodularsynth over the weekend and managed to get
> about 10 hours of recordings into ardour. I have now got about 10
> complete tracks and probably 20 more if I edit, cut, and mix. Before I
> do the latter I am going to clean up the 10 tracks that I feel don't
> require editing. Before I do that though I am interested to hear what
> people who have better/different equipment to me think of the quality of
> the raw cuts.
>
> So, I have uploaded a new track to my server.
>
> http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/ascension/ascension_unity.ogg
> size: 112MB (about an hour long)
>
> If you have the time to download it and give me some feedback on what
> you think needs to be done to the levels to bring out the sound and make
> it really crisp I would appreciate your feedback.

Well, thanks for putting this out there. I agree with earlier posts that
it is more experimental than Techno or whatever.. Also it is hard to
listen to a whole hour of someone elses unprocessed work.

Just wondered if the bursts of static in there are part of the piece, or
  artefacts? If the latter, it would be very hard to clean this up, if
the former, then you are probably OK.

It is very hard to suggest what to do with this, as anyone hearing it
probably does not know what your aim is. My suggestion would be to do
some processing thru jamin, altering things as you see fit, until it
sounds as close to how you want it as you can. Then you also need to
take the processed version and play it on as many different audio
devices as you can, going back to change the original if it sounds
particularly wrong on a given device.

Regards,

James