Re: [LAU] Declination: Music made with Linux

From: David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 17:35:38 EET

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:32:43 +0000
Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I was fiddling about with various bits of Linux audio software and
> came up with several hours of recordings into Ardour. If I don't go
> quite as crazy with remixes as, say, Moby, then there is probably
> about 17 months of music in there. I've picked out one that I feel
> stands up on its own without further processing, and uploaded it to
> my server:
>
> http://www.gjcp.net/~gordonjcp/declination.ogg

I downloaded and listened -- to almost all of it.

> If you have time to download it (it's about 26 minutes long, 21Mbytes)
> and listen, I'd appreciate some feedback. I tried using a homebrew
> fuzzbox and a guitar amp, but that just made the neighbours bang on
> the wall (and they live half a mile further up the farm track).
>
> I consider this track to be in the Techno Reconstructed Yurt genre,
> with influences from Vangelis, Pierre Schaeffer and James Bilsland
> (the latter using a huge industrial pump to deliver heating oil to the
> 1300-litre tank at my house). If that is the kind of sound you are
> into or you wish to make people think you don't listen to "normal"
> music, then I think you will enjoy the track. If you don't or it's a
> bit too "experimental" for you then clearly you are an imbecile and
> you wouldn't know genuine avant-garde talent if it bit you on the
> backside.

Well, I fall into the latter category, I guess. Nevertheless, I'd be
interested to know *how* you made it. In particular, how did you get
those levels so "hot"? What kind of effects, synths, mastering (if any)
etc.

> Enjoy, and I look forward to your feedback. I hope you get as much
> of a kick out of hearing it as I got off the anode caps of the power
> amp valves in my HF radio transmitter.

I did enjoy, thanks for posting.

David