Re: [LAU] Ascension: Music made in Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 31 2010 - 01:12:06 EET

On 01/30/2010 11:46 PM, michael noble wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> At first I was a little confused by your files, as your original email
> stated something about "complete tracks". To my ears, and I think this
> is more what you were suggesting, there is some good raw material here
> to be broken down and remixed into musical pieces. The discord piece
> especially has some good polyrhythms, for want of a better
> description, and has the potential to get a nice gritty groove going
> on ala Tortoise's Djed track. As for suggestions as to what to do with
> the material to bring out the groove, I think Peter just pretty much
> offered up everything I was going to suggest... I'd go so far as to
> suggest some saturated distortion on extremely narrow but well chosen
> frequency bands to bring out the glitchiness a little more in a
> percussive way.
>
> -omjn
>
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Peter Geirnaert
> <peter.geirnaert@email-addr-hidden <mailto:peter.geirnaert@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden <mailto:pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I had some fun with alsamodularsynt [snip] sitting in front of
> a powerful
> Linux audio workstation for 48 hours straight [snip] :-)
>

> Maybe now you could split the track up in frequency ranges and use
> compression on each resulting track, instead of simply using EQ on
> the original.
> I don't know if there's a compressor with side chain input
> available, but that might be useful too, e.g. to make the bass
> frequency range 'pump' down the other frequency ranges. (IIRC,
> there was a tutorial about doing that with LMMS).
> If you have the higher frequency range on a separate track, add
> some reverb or panning or delay ?
> An expander or gate could add rhythm accentuation.
>
> Just my 2p, I didn't find the time to do all this to see if it
> works ;-)

Thanks for your feedback. I will try out your suggestions and see how
that helps. I hadn't thought of splitting up the frequency ranges before
processing. That is a neat trick for this kind of palate.

I am considering remixing parts of the complete 10 hour session into
more genre friendly, law abiding pieces too. I think I have enough
material for about 20 tracks if I can find the time/motivation.

These "tracks" I am putting up here I feel are good enough to stand
alone. I get sometimes tired of listening to 3-4 minute radio friendly
format and enjoy listening to a long rolling progression on occasion.
You don't find much of this type of format being posted to the list.

BTW, I also enjoy slow food, sleeping all day, reading long technical
books, and the longest I have gone in front of a computer is 72 hours
with no drugs, coffee and just a little sleep. Maybe that gives people
an idea of where I am coming from.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd