Re: [LAU] Ascension: Music made in Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 31 2010 - 06:00:06 EET

On 01/30/2010 11:15 PM, Peter Geirnaert wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden <mailto:pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I had some fun with alsamodularsynt [snip] sitting in front of a
> powerful
> Linux audio workstation for 48 hours straight [snip] :-)
>

> Maybe now you could split the track up in frequency ranges and use
> compression on each resulting track, instead of simply using EQ on the
> original.

I tried to work with splitting up the frequency range a bit. It's a bit
of a hassle to arrange. Does anyone know of something like a 30 band
parametric which can output 30 channels of stereo? That would be a handy
tool.

> I don't know if there's a compressor with side chain input available,
> but that might be useful too, e.g. to make the bass frequency range
> 'pump' down the other frequency ranges. (IIRC, there was a tutorial
> about doing that with LMMS).
> If you have the higher frequency range on a separate track, add some
> reverb or panning or delay ?
> An expander or gate could add rhythm accentuation.
>
> Just my 2p, I didn't find the time to do all this to see if it works ;-)

I'm looking at the side chain compressor option. Does anyone have a
suggestion for which plugin to use?

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd