Re: [LAU] Portable Digital Recorders

From: Rick Green <rtg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 02 2010 - 00:35:37 EET

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 09:00:31PM +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>> if that means what i think it means (equivalent input noise), and i'm
>> not totally out of touch with the state of preamp technology, i'd say
>> all but the 106, the 99 and the ? are bogus. and i'm not even sure about
>> the 106 :)
>
> First of all, all these numbers should have a minus sign in
> front of them, and for them to be informative at all I'd
> want to know if they are dBu or dBV.

  On the source website (theatreofnoise.com), he claims:

         In this article I will measure noise using Equivalent Input Noise (EIN)
         A-weighted at 150 ohms, measured in dBu.

   ...and in a footnote, he reminds us that they are really negative, he's
just choosing to list the absolute value for simplicity. I'm still
looking for 'part three' of the article, where he promises to 'tell us
more', hopefully describing his measurement setup, so we can confirm the
accuracy for ourselves.

  I'd like to see a portable handheld recorder with a wordclock input, so
that the band could link their individual recorders and produce a usable
multitrack of a session. So far, I haven't identified anything in the
'handheld' category with this capability...

--
Rick Green
                                   -Benjamin Franklin