Re: [LAU] CENSORING public archives (Was: Problem post)

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 02 2010 - 15:07:13 EET

On Tuesday 02 February 2010 13:29:05 Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
> First of all, let me remind you, and every linux-audio-user member out
> there that the archives *ARE PUBLIC*, and thus what you post here will be
> eventually readable by the *WHOLE WORLD*.
>
> Deleting the post is not going to happen, I am only willing to censor the
> one post that poses an issue provided the name of the company is mentioned
> on a censor banner inside the post. The least we can do with such a case is
> add a little public humiliation to this.
>
> Also I would like to say that this is the one and only time that this
> happens. Next time, the original poster will face the legal consequences. I
> hope this is crystal clear to every one reading.

I am mixed with this.

On one hand this is a _very_ good reminder for us people that this list is in
fact public and not controlled by the senders. Everything you write _will_
show up on the whole internet and will be pretty hard to suppress, its not
only these archives but also copies in search-engines caches and other web
archives... (Not even talking about peoples personal archive in their in-
boxes.)

On the other hand it might be that then lawyers come after you, Marc, or the
linux audio consortium as you are running the list and could therefore be
responsible for stuff published there. Even if we "sign" some paragraphs on
subscription to indemnify you in case of trouble, it could still be you who
gets the first letters from lawyers and you then have to sent your own lawyers
after us...

Unless this list runs on some anonymous server somewhere in the technology-
pendant of the third world and there are no names connected, I would follow
this bidding (and every following one when lawyers and technology are
involved) and only ask for some donations to either the linux audio consortium
for technical expenses or for charity projects.

Of course when people just want their own rude posts deleted, I would
definitely not do it.

Have fun,

Arnold