Re: [LAU] Tangerine Dream

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 06 2010 - 03:01:10 EET

Le Mercredi, 20 Janvier 2010 22:57:10 -0300,
robert lazarski <robertlazarski@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:32 PM, lanas <lanas@securenet.net> wrote:
> >  With all the Linux audio tools around, is there a way to have
> > the type of sequences/arpeggios like Tangerine Dream was using ?  A
> > simple example would be ZynAddSubFx's 'Sequence 2' patch.  I wonder
> > how Tangerine Dream were doing these sequences and arpeggios.  Like
> > for instance the beautiful sequenced synth right after the piano
> > intro on 'Ricochet'.  In those times they surely did not have
> > powerful sequencers to store all of these for live concerts.  They
> > must have relied on some programmable arpeggio type of function.
> >  Is there a way to have such a flexibility to create similar things
> > in Linux and if so, which tools ?
> >

> There are midi files here to get you started:
>
> http://www.tadream.net/midi.htm
>
> Any linux sequencer like seq24 and rosegarden will play those. I've
> never seen a midi file for 'Ricochet' , that'd be kool. Lots of synths
> of that era had built in sequencers, and analog sequencers then also
> did exist, so they used that I believe when possible.

That's not it I think. Using a sequencer for that is like painting the
Mona Lisa by number. Tangerine Dream surely have used some sequencers
but a large part of their work resided in the capability to modify in
real time what sound like 'sequences' by turning knobs and plugging
wires as sounds were made. As such, it was really a performance, more
than we could think in general. So I think rather they were using
complex arpeggiators. Today we can listen to that and write it down in
a MIDI file, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Recently I got the latest by Ozric Tentacles (Yum-yum Tree) and they
also are using some of those real-time modifiable pseudo-'sequences' so
I guess some synths are sold with that capability.

I had the suggestion that qmidiarp could do something similar, so I'll
check it out soon. Using too much of that could be unnerving (a
critiscm I make towards the Ozrics sometimes) but by itself it sure
sounds fun to groove to. I like the 'Sequence 2' in zynaddsubfx for
starters.

Cheers.