Re: [LAU] sending random midi notes from a bash script

From: james morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net>
Date: Sun Feb 07 2010 - 14:41:52 EET

On 6/2/2010, "Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas"
<pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> The tool would just be required to send a single midi note to some port.
>> The note to be sent should be specifiable on command line, along with
>> length/velocity ... probably would be enough.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>As an example, here is a bash script that can be used with cron, to play
>hourly a tune and some strokes.

Thanks Pedro, that's quite useful.

I'm using the playnote function from your script. I see you make a
translation of note names to other ascii chars using tr (before you call
playnote), and it's this latter "scale" string I'm interested in, as
my script does not need to deal with note names at this stage.

I've used an expansion of the string "<>@ACEGHJLMOQS" to
"<>@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" which does
give me a wider range of notes, but is very middly, there's no bass
notes nor anything from the high octaves.

How might I get the bass and high end?

Thanks,
James.