Re: [LAU] 1980's cds: analog to digital conversion

From: Monty Montgomery <xiphmont@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 14 2010 - 05:16:24 EET

> Just two general-purpose first order IIR sections
> is all you need for either the forward or inverse
> filter. Any textbook on digital filters will tell
> you how to program them. Inverting the LF filter
> requires an extra pole below the audio range to
> avoid infinite DC gain.

I'm aware of how to construct digital IIR filters :-) I was hoping
you had a URL to a nice official analog topology. The specific
implementation details matter.

> The channel EQ you'll find on most digital mixers is
> not linear-phase at all, nor acausal.

OK. Time to become incredibly overspecific:

Every digital EQ implementation I'm aware of for Linux is linear
phase. I wrote a few of 'em.

One could just build a digital equivalent of any of the old analog
topologies. For many filters (eg, compressors and the like) this is
totally the way to go. For EQ, I'll take a linear phase
implementation any day. That's the route taken by every piece of FOSS
EQ source code I've ever seen (it would not be surprising if I missed
a few). If you say VST has done a few this way (for whatever reason)
then I believe you.

> In almost all
> cases it's just first and second order IIR filters.
> For plugins anything goes, but the most of them are
> not linear phase, and no filter operating in real
> time can ever be acausal - by definition.

Negative delays are perfectly possible in digital. Well, if you
ignore the wallclock (assume a global system latency, and a local
negative latency within the system). It's just a semantic/terminology
argument at this point.

Cheers,
Monty