Re: [LAU] Linux audio droid?

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 14 2010 - 12:21:23 EET

The Nexus One has a '600MHz' FPU on its Qualcomm ARM core. I doubt if
that will translate into 600 MFlops as there will be performance degredation
and any app has to be quite specifically coded to actually use the FPU, a bit
like you have to code specifically for MMX and SSE on Intel architectures,
the compiler does not do this automatically.

If the code does not optimise onto the architecture you end up with soft floats
and consequent performanace limitations. I wouldn't imagine softfloats being
be a big issue for Jack itself but may be for any code that wanted to do any DSP
on the audio distributed by Jack.

You also need to consider that having limited FPU performance may imply
having multiple apps running DSP code is out of the question, which implies
Jack (as an audio distribution server) is of limited use.

Android is an interesting platform though, not least because it does have
reasonable horsepower on the Nexus and it is multitasking. Why the iPhone
dropped that capability beats a lot of people.

How much are you looking to do on it?

Kind regards, nick.

"we have to make sure the old choice [Windows] doesn't disappear”.
Jim Wong, president of IT products, Acer