Re: [LAU] Linux audio droid?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 14 2010 - 13:06:45 EET

Fixing up that top-posting...

On Sunday 14 February 2010 11:21:23 Nick Copeland wrote:
> > Ken Restivo wrote:
> > > Just curious: do any of the Android-capable phones have an FPU? Can any
> > > of them run JACK?
> > > I've got a Linux audio instrument that fits in my backpack; the next
> > > challenge would be to see if I can get on that fits in my pocket.
> > The Motorola Droid (or Milestone) and its little brother the Droid
> > Devour have FPU's. You can also run Android on the Nokia N900 which has
> > an FPU also. And then there's the Nexus One.
> > I'm sharing your curiosity so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Why not run the linux that already comes with the n900. Or are you that fixed
on sending google all your data ;-)

> You also need to consider that having limited FPU performance may imply
> having multiple apps running DSP code is out of the question, which
> implies Jack (as an audio distribution server) is of limited use.

But I do think, running one organ synth standalone would work. Only a matter
of getting the midi-data from the keyboard into the phone.

And a matter of stopping the foh-tech from killing himself laughing when you
plug in you request a DI-box and connect your stereo-mini-jack-to-two-mono-
jacks adaptor to connect your phone for making music.
And then you have to make sure no one calls you during the show, otherwise
your girlfriend/wife/mother speaks to you over the big pa :-P

> Android is an interesting platform though, not least because it does have
> reasonable horsepower on the Nexus and it is multitasking. Why the iPhone
> dropped that capability beats a lot of people.

I don't think the iphone dropped multitasking. Otherwise you would have to run
the "phone" app all the time to be able to receive calls. And you couldn't
receive short messages because that app is not running. What they disabled,
probably because of extensive user-analysis, is the application switching in
gui. And even that I am not entirely sure as I haven't actually gotten an i*
in my hands...

Have fun,

Arnold