Re: [LAU] Linux audio droid?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 15 2010 - 11:41:45 EET

Going off on the artistical tangent...

On Sunday 14 February 2010 20:34:19 Ken Restivo wrote:
> First of all, FOH techs already laugh at me when I present them with two
> male XLR jacks going to TLS dongles into a M-Audio FastTrack and an EEEpc.
> At least it saves them from having to go fish out a DI box.

They shouldn't laugh. Probably that FastTrack has symmetrical outs, if so, its
better to use them directly then going through a DI-Box...

> The sound in their voices is always really interesting when they're calling
> sound checks: they get through the drumset, guitars, basses, B3 (if
> present), and then they say, "OK, um, laptop, I guess?". It's a mixture of
> respect, disdain, amusement, and confusion.

Would be even more fun when the sound of drumset, basss and B3 where already
coming through your laptop:-P

> In my occasional nerdy dreaming modes, I thought of hacking up one of those
> large LED-matrix scrolling displays to a Linux-based phone, and giving out
> the number onstage so the audience can text us while we're playing. Or
> face the LED towards the audience so they can blast out random texts to
> the whole audience.

Hehe, have them send text-messages trough sms or twitter/identica, feed these
texts into festival or any other speach synthesis, feed that into autotune or
autotalent to make it tune to your melodie and you get singers for free:-)

> As for the ARM's/Droids/Pandoras/etc, it looks like technology is not quite
> ready yet, but it's getting there. Recompiling audio apps with funky -m
> flags is no problem, but rewriting for example LADSPA plugins to add ASM
> to use the FPU sounds like more work than it'd be worth.
> Still, I'd estimate by next year it'll be all squared away.

Part of me thinks that in one or two years these processors in cell-phones
will do floating-point as fast as fixed-point/integer calculations...

Have fun,

Arnold

PS: Please don't CC me, I am subscribed...