Re: [LAU] Linux audio droid?

From: Olivier Guilyardi <ml@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 18 2010 - 15:45:35 EET

On 02/14/2010 03:42 AM, Ken Restivo wrote:
> Just curious: do any of the Android-capable phones have an FPU? Can any of them run JACK?
>
> I've got a Linux audio instrument that fits in my backpack; the next challenge would be to see if I can get on that fits in my pocket.

I've spent quite a lot of time developing on Android these last months, both in
Java and in C.

Some devices (quite a few actually) have an FPU, some don't. But the point is
that when compiling C/C++ code using the Android Native Dev Kit (NDK), you are
currently forced to use soft floats. So, if you want your app to work on a
standard Android system, FPU or not, you can't use it currently.

I've coded audio-related stuff in C using the NDK, including recording and
fft-based filtering. The only public APIs which allow you to access the audio
hardware are in Java. And they're quite terrible actually, don't even imagine
using these for any low-latency stuff. iPhone OS is currently way ahead AFAICS.

Now there's the other path (which I haven't tried): installing another Linux
distro, such as Debian, on your device. I believe that chances are great that
you could run Jack this way. And if you still want to use your phone as a phone,
then you may even be able to dual boot, but again I haven't done that.

HTH

--
  Olivier