[LAU] theora and html5

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 23:20:54 EET

On 02/16/2010 09:41 PM, hollunder wrote:
> Excerpts from Jörn Nettingsmeier's message of 2010-02-16 21:22:48 +0100:
>> (sticks a cardboard periscope on head, dances about and chants "i'm the
>> submarine patent threat")
>
> And one can get you with any format :)

that should be really obvious to you and me. not so in corporate droid
brains...

> Most concerns seem to go into the quality and filesize direction, so if
> it got a lot better the information should be spread somehow.

well, it definitely got a lot better. it is still slightly inferior to
almost every proprietary codec out there, but guess what: i don't care,
because it's good enough for web content.
cpu is getting cheaper by second, bandwith even more so.

the trade-off between huge licensing costs for content creators, vendor
lock-in and closed-source plugin hassles on the one hand ("oh, you're
using $fooBSD? so sorry, we are not going to implement it, and we won't
let you do it, either") and a couple of cycles here and a few kbits
there doesn't really compute anymore.

many of the articles in wikipedia are demonstrably inferior to those in
<your favourite encyclopedia here> - still, the whole concept is so
immensely powerful that it has become my number one resource, while that
16-tome dead-tree-pulp monster from the early nineties is gathering dust
on my bookshelf.
to me, that same analogy holds for theora compared to <your favourite
codec here>. it's important to know the limitations (theora sure as hell
isn't going to replace blu-ray disks anytime soon), but for web, it
would work like a charm.