Re: [LAU] theora and html5

From: hollunder <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 02:30:29 EET

Excerpts from nettings's message of 2010-02-16 22:20:54 +0100:
> On 02/16/2010 09:41 PM, hollunder wrote:
> > Excerpts from Jörn Nettingsmeier's message of 2010-02-16 21:22:48 +0100:
> >> (sticks a cardboard periscope on head, dances about and chants "i'm the
> >> submarine patent threat")
> >
> > And one can get you with any format :)
>
> that should be really obvious to you and me. not so in corporate droid
> brains...
>
> > Most concerns seem to go into the quality and filesize direction, so if
> > it got a lot better the information should be spread somehow.
>
> well, it definitely got a lot better. it is still slightly inferior to
> almost every proprietary codec out there, but guess what: i don't care,
> because it's good enough for web content.
> cpu is getting cheaper by second, bandwith even more so.
>
> the trade-off between huge licensing costs for content creators, vendor
> lock-in and closed-source plugin hassles on the one hand ("oh, you're
> using $fooBSD? so sorry, we are not going to implement it, and we won't
> let you do it, either") and a couple of cycles here and a few kbits
> there doesn't really compute anymore.
>
> many of the articles in wikipedia are demonstrably inferior to those in
> <your favourite encyclopedia here> - still, the whole concept is so
> immensely powerful that it has become my number one resource, while that
> 16-tome dead-tree-pulp monster from the early nineties is gathering dust
> on my bookshelf.
> to me, that same analogy holds for theora compared to <your favourite
> codec here>. it's important to know the limitations (theora sure as hell
> isn't going to replace blu-ray disks anytime soon), but for web, it
> would work like a charm.

I basically agree, so it's a matter of getting the information/opinion
out there. For me last years lac video quality was fine, and I was
watching it live (thanks ;)). I said that in a comment on some html
guy's html5/video blog that asked for opinion and I hope it helps in
some way.
The question really is: how do you demonstrate that theora is there? How
do you manage to get word out into the world that it actually is good
enough and has benefits?