Re: [LAU] question re: MIDI control of SooperLooper and similar progs

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 23:11:59 EET

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, Dave Phillips wrote:

> If anyone here is using SooperLooper or Freewheeling or Kluppe with a
> MIDI foot controller (or any MIDI controller), please let me know what
> hardware you're using. I'm thinking about purchasing a device, I'd like
> to know what's recommended by LAU's lusty live loopers. :)

I use sooperlooper with a Behringer FCB-1010. Like the
other guys, I'm really happy with it.

My typical live SL setup is two stereo loops with the dry
signal passing through clean. I control it like this:

   * Expression pedal A: Loop 1 wet gain
   * Expression pedal B: Loop 2 wet gain
   * Pedals 1-5: Record, Overdub, Trigger,
     Undo, and Mute the "current" loop.
   * Pedal 6: select next loop.
   * Pedal 7: Mute all loops / Panic.

All messages are sent using CC's (whether it needs a CC or
not). Note that ALL of the pedals have to be configured so
that expression pedals A and B do this.

There is Java-based editor for the FCB-1010, but it only
supports a customized firmware called "UNO". It is in many
ways superior to the Behringer firmware... and well-worth
the $14. However, I've been using the older, buggier,
factory firmware (v1.0) and it works just fine for me.

-gabriel