Re: [LAU] SMPTE timecode?

From: Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 18 2010 - 00:48:57 EET

Rick,

> I'll be soing a field recording next week for a DVD music production. Is
> it possible to record an SMPTE timecode on a spare track? I've found some
> references on the web to something called LTC, which apparently is SMPTE
> encoded thru an audio codec.

Yes, it is an audio signal, and you can easily record it as such. With a
little training, you can even read it directly :)

You need the timecode only once to find your reference point. What's
more important is to sync your word clock to the video timing. There are
a number of devices out there that allow you to generate a Wordclock out
of a Video Sync signal or the LTC.

Flo

--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net