Re: [LAU] more than 4 channels for listening? Really?

From: Martin Leese <martin.leese@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 26 2010 - 19:31:17 EET

Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I am thinking about adding a 5.1-to-ambisonics mixer/panner to move the
> specialized channels with their defined positions to virtual sources in my
> ambisonics surrounding. Don't know if that works out...

If all you want to achieve is to move around
your 5 virtual speakers then you are onto a
winner. This is described at:
http://wiki.xiph.org/Ambisonics#5.1_to_Ambisonics

The problems come when you try to improve
the 5.1. If you make assumptions about how
the 5.1 was mixed then a little more can be
done. See:
http://www.ambisonia.com/wiki/index.php/5.1_surround#Using_a_UHJ_Transcoder

Regards,
Martin

--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org