[LAU] 5.1 to ambisonices (was: more than 4 channels for listening? Really?)

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 27 2010 - 23:14:57 EET

Hi,

On Friday 26 February 2010 18:31:17 Martin Leese wrote:
> Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I am thinking about adding a 5.1-to-ambisonics mixer/panner to move the
> > specialized channels with their defined positions to virtual sources in
> > my ambisonics surrounding. Don't know if that works out...
> If all you want to achieve is to move around
> your 5 virtual speakers then you are onto a
> winner.
> The problems come when you try to improve
> the 5.1. If you make assumptions about how
> the 5.1 was mixed then a little more can be
> done.

I am aware of that. Placing the virtual speakers in easy, that was todays first
half hour in faust (so long because my boy was crying next door and jconvolve
was crashing when sources where disconnected (sounds like denormal:) )).

My rational is that most (all?) 5.1 mixes are: music and action stuff on L+R
(front), dialogues on C, ambient and action effects on L+R(rear).
So my idea is to split the rear channels into six or more channels distributed
around the rear side of the circle (or even sphere) to have a more surrounding
feeling and overcome the hole in the panning.
My first shoot at that is attached as faust-file. Comments welcome, probably the
levels are wrong...

Probably that can be improved by not only splitting the signals but also
mixing them a bit, both L+R from the rear and also from front to side by
mixing front L with rear L for the 90° speaker. Don't know whether that works
out.

Have fun,

Arnold