[LAU] XG Sound Generator Alternatives

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 27 2010 - 23:17:44 EET

I would love to upgrade my old PIII clunker. Apparently, all the better
motherboards lack ISA slots nowadays.

The older speakerphone modem I have in a slot can be cheaply replaced with a
PCI version of the same ilk.

My problem is my old Yamaha sw60xg sound card. This is a rusty, trusty MIDI
sound generator with audio DSP (no audio interface to the computer). It can be
made to work on anything using mpu401, no IRQ, no DMA, no problems. Can be
controlled using the old XGedit run with WINE. Decent sounds and I have many
mixes based on this.

Yamaha's stuff is too proprietary, closed, for alsa support. Their sw100xg is
still a fantastic PCI audio/MIDI card but no alsa support. The sw60xg did not
need it.

So what alternatives might I have. (A quad-core screamer might run virtual-
instruments OK.) The same sounds are available on old serial port versions
from Yamaha but there must be something better around in 2010!