Re: [LAU] OT: linux video?

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 27 2010 - 21:42:17 EET

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Aaron L. <elmastero74@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> It's been interesting to read about everyone's various setups and I noticed
> a few people mention that they're using ArtistX.
>
> Is anyone actually using it for video editing?  And I don't even mean "pro"
> video editing.  I'm just wondering about video editing period.
>
> I've been using UbuntuStudio for the past couple of years and the video
> editing software that came with it leaves much to be desired.
>
> Just curious if anyone's actually producuctive with anything video and linux
> related.

For casual video editing, Kino is pretty sufficient. There is also
Cinelerra, which is a bit higher end.

Also check out Blender, it has non-linear video editing and Jack
support is available in the 3.5 pre-releases. I think Jack transport
is also coming for Blender.

Oh, I forgot, on the commercial side, TVPaint has a beta test version
available for Linux. It's a 2D animation/post-production tool but has
some good video editing and compositing tools and will be one of the
first commercial apps like this for Linux:

http://www.tvpaint.com

-- Brett