Re: [LAU] 5.1 to ambisonices (was: more than 4 channels for listening? Really?)

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 22:03:48 EET

On 02/28/2010 08:54 PM, Martin Leese wrote:
> Arnold Krille<arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> My rational is that most (all?) 5.1 mixes are: music and action stuff on L+R
>> (front), dialogues on C, ambient and action effects on L+R(rear).
>> So my idea is to split the rear channels into six or more channels distributed
>> around the rear side of the circle (or even sphere) to have a more surrounding
>> feeling and overcome the hole in the panning.
>
> Multiple surround speakers fed with the same
> signal is what you hear in a cinema.
> Recreating that would therefore seem to be a
> useful path to go down.

why not just pan the 5 signals on an ambi rig?

if you want to get rid of the hole in the panning (to the rear), you are
prepared to cheat anyways. in that case, it might be interesting to try
a sixth source in the rear, derived from summing SL and SR, maybe
including a few allpass filters for decorrelation...