Re: [LAU] A crazy idea

From: Rick Green <rtg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 08:29:31 EET

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, michael noble wrote:

> It's bad enough that people want
> to start blasting synthesized engine sounds out of (thankfully)
> quieter electric and hybrid vehicles.

   Many yeaars ago, I read a science fiction story, set in a time well past
peak oil, when conservation of hydrocarbons was at the forefront of
everyone's mind, and society would heap much shame upon anyone who wasted
even a drop. The story was about a father and son who owned an antique
mid-20th century 'muscle car', and spent their every spare night or
weekend in the garage lavishing attention upon it. Once a month or so,
much to the consternation of the neighbors, they would open up the
garage, start it up, and very noisily parade it around the block. After
recounting the disgust of each neighbor they pass, the narrator follows
the pair back into their garage. As soon as they close the door
securely behind them, they open a locked cupboard, remove a large crank,
and insert it into a socket concealed behind the gas filler cap. As the
Dad begins to turn the crank, the son checks a counter concealed behind
the front grill. "I think we may have gone a bit far today. We're each
going to have to spend a full hour a day at the crank if we're to have
any hope of taking it out again next month".

--
Rick Green
                                   -Benjamin Franklin