Re: [LAU] aconnect: Connection failed (Operation not permitted)

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 06 2010 - 14:28:28 EET

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:23:45 +0100
David Adler <david.jo.adler@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 3/4/10, Renato wrote:
> [...]
> > Ok, it works, sometimes. The problem is that, at least on my system,
> > all the alsa-midi clients have the same human-readable identifier
> > for both the input and the output - so I have to use the numbers,
> > but FreeWheeling in particular has also the same port numbers
> > (132)!! So I can only access the port "FreeWheeling IN 1", but not
> > the port "FreeWheeling OUT 1" because they are both 132:0 (and
> > aconnect chooses it to be "FreeWheeling IN 1")
>

> $ aconnect -i
> client 130: 'FreeWheeling' [type=user]
> 1 'FreeWheeling OUT 1'
> 2 'FreeWheeling OUT 2'
> 3 'FreeWheeling OUT 3'
> 4 'FreeWheeling OUT 4'
>
> $ aconnect -o
> client 130: 'FreeWheeling' [type=user]
> 0 'FreeWheeling IN 1'
>
> Don't bother about the IN/OUT stuff and numbers that
> are part of the human readable names.
> Use the 'real' port numbers (the ones at the beginning
> of the lines aconnect -io outputs) instead.
>
> The following works for me:
>
> either using the client name string and port numbers
> $ aconnect FreeWheeling:1 FreeWheeling:0
>
> or using the the client number and port numbers
> $ aconnect 130:1 130:0
>
> I hope this helps.
>

> best,

Thanks, it does work now. But I am pretty
sure that yesterday I had something like this (note port numberings):

$ aconnect -i
client 130: 'FreeWheeling' [type=user]
    0 'FreeWheeling OUT 1'
    1 'FreeWheeling OUT 2'
    2 'FreeWheeling OUT 3'
    3 'FreeWheeling OUT 4'

$ aconnect -o
client 130: 'FreeWheeling' [type=user]
    0 'FreeWheeling IN 1'

and hence my headache. Or maybe I'm just freaking out :)

anyway, I think (hope) I've got how it works now, thanks again.

Renato