Re: [LAU] aconnect: Connection failed (Operation not permitted)

From: David Adler <david.jo.adler@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 20:23:45 EET

On 3/4/10, Renato wrote:
[...]
> Ok, it works, sometimes. The problem is that, at least on my system,
> all the alsa-midi clients have the same human-readable identifier for
> both the input and the output - so I have to use the numbers, but
> FreeWheeling in particular has also the same port numbers (132)!! So I
> can only access the port "FreeWheeling IN 1", but not the port
> "FreeWheeling OUT 1" because they are both 132:0 (and aconnect chooses
> it to be "FreeWheeling IN 1")

$ aconnect -i
client 130: 'FreeWheeling' [type=user]
    1 'FreeWheeling OUT 1'
    2 'FreeWheeling OUT 2'
    3 'FreeWheeling OUT 3'
    4 'FreeWheeling OUT 4'

$ aconnect -o
client 130: 'FreeWheeling' [type=user]
    0 'FreeWheeling IN 1'

Don't bother about the IN/OUT stuff and numbers that
are part of the human readable names.
Use the 'real' port numbers (the ones at the beginning
of the lines aconnect -io outputs) instead.

The following works for me:

either using the client name string and port numbers
$ aconnect FreeWheeling:1 FreeWheeling:0

or using the the client number and port numbers
$ aconnect 130:1 130:0

I hope this helps.

best,