Re: [LAU] aconnect: Connection failed (Operation not permitted)

From: Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 18:56:36 EET

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 01:46:16 +0100
David Adler <david.jo.adler@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Renato wrote:
> > Hello, whenever I try to run aconnect to connect some alsa-midi
> > ports, I get
> >
> > Connection failed (Operation not permitted)
> >
> > even as root. I can smoothly make alsa-midi connections from
> > patchage or qjackctl. What should I check?
> >
> > Renato
>

> I get this message when the port names given on
> the command line are in the wrong order.
> Could this be the reason?
>
> To me, the naming of the options '-i, --input' and
> '-o, --output' was misleading.
> The output of 'man aconnect' clarifies a little:
> input (readable), output (writable).

Yeah, but *worse* in qjackctl they are inverted, i.e.
Readable Clients / Output Ports
and
Writable Clients / Input Ports

what a headache!!

> use
> aconnect <readable_port> <writable_port>
> which corresponds to the (misleading)
> aconnect <input_port> <output_port>

Ok, it works, sometimes. The problem is that, at least on my system,
all the alsa-midi clients have the same human-readable identifier for
both the input and the output - so I have to use the numbers, but
FreeWheeling in particular has also the same port numbers (132)!! So I
can only access the port "FreeWheeling IN 1", but not the port
"FreeWheeling OUT 1" because they are both 132:0 (and aconnect chooses
it to be "FreeWheeling IN 1")

Is this caused by my system, alsa-midi or FreeWheeling?

Renato